I am honoured to receive the Sunshine Award from Carla @ My 1/2 Dozen Daily.
You can learn a little more about me as I answer a few questions and pass on a ‘little sunshine’ to some fellow Food Allergy Bloggers.
Spreading a little sunshine and smiles along the way makes me happy!
1. What is your favourite colour?
Red! I have loved red since childhood. Not really sure why…but I have been drawn to red for as long as I can remember. As a result…I believe everything should have a ‘touch of red’!
2. What is your favourite animal?
This is easy…dogs! Again, I have loved dogs since childhood. My first dog was a black poodle…he was a birthday present. He lived until I finished university. My second dog was a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier…again a birthday gift. My husband and I purchased him in the spring, the year after we moved into our first house. I am allergic to dogs as our my two boys. Therefore, sadly, for health reasons, we will now live vicariously through other people’s dogs.
3. What is your favourite number?
Once again, another childhood favourite carried over into adulthood…the number 8! The number 8 is a very significant number in our family. My husband and I were both born on the 8th, we were married on the 18th, our house number is 18, my eldest son was born in the 8th month and my youngest was born in 1998.
4. What is your favourite non-alcoholic drink?
Funny how all these questions so far can be related to my childhood…lemonade! I love to make my own lemon syrup and add sparkling water to it…yummy! It’s now my boys favourite summertime drink. I am currently enjoying a glass of sparkling water (made from our SodaStream) with lemon juice…so refreshing!
5. Which do you prefer- Facebook or Twitter?
I would have to say Facebook as I do not have a Twitter account. I can barely keep up to all that goes on with Facebook…my apologies for my inability to link my blog to Facebook…I have yet to figure that out!
6. What is your passion?
Gosh…this is a hard question to limit to just one! So I will give a list of things I am passionate about: my husband, boys, family, friends, maintaining a healthy lifestyle for myself and my family, being ‘present’ for my boys, proving that although living with multiple food allergies, eczema and asthma can be a challenge they can also have many positive life changing benefits, a good book for my down time (including cookbooks and magazines!), staying positive, active and enjoying life along the way. As I tell my boys…’you have only one life to live…take care of yourself and live it well!’
Update: My brother was ‘floored’ that I did not include ‘cooking’ as one of my passions. In his words, “That was a hard question? Seriously, you did NOT say cooking!???? OMG, that is all you ever do or talk about!” He is right…so cooking has now officially been added as my number one passion!
7. Do you prefer giving or receiving presents?
I take great pleasure in the act of ‘giving’. My favourite gift to give is the gift that one is not expectiing…the ‘just because gift’. I can be spontaneous that way. It usually comes in the form of a baked good, a simple card or something that catches my eye. Knowing that you are being thought of is the real gift.
8. What is your favourite pattern?
As I sit and look around me I would have to say…floral! I am surrounded in floral tablecloths and cloth napkins. Even the purse I am now carrying around is covered in a floral pattern!
9. What is your favourite day of the week?
Friday! For many reasons…Homemade Pizza and Movie Night, my husband and I enjoy our pizza together with some wine, there is a relaxed feeling about the evening and the whole weekend lies ahead!
10. What is your favourite flower?
I love all flowers! But if I were to narrow it down to one flower…I love the beauty and simplicity of a tulip! They are one of the first flowers I see pop open in the spring and can be enjoyed indoors all season long at a reasonable price. Although, at this moment in time, I am enjoying this lovely bouquet of flowers still in bloom from Easter!
Apparantly, Matthew’s favourite flower is the For-Get-Me-Not…I did not know this. They are just starting to bloom in my garden.
Here are 5 Food Allergy Bloggers that help to ‘spread a little sunshine’ and make me smile.
1. Jennifer @ It’s An Itchy Little World is a mother of two children with eczema and food allergies. She recently made a YouTube video titled “Stuff Eczema Mamas Say” click here to view. This truly added sunshine to my day, made me smile and had me in hysterics!
2. Anu @ Allergy Foodie is a mother of a son with food allergies. She recently hit her 100th post and dedicated it to her 16-year-old niece. It was so touching to read her account of her niece’s support over the years. Click here to view. It always brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye when I hear stories like this one!
3. Jennifer @ Dairy Free Diner has a daughter and a son. Her son has a dairy allergy. Her stories generally centre around her children…one stands out in particular for me. It is the one where her daughter writes her first story, “My Green Leprechaun In A Jar”…it is about a leprechaun granting her 4 wishes, one of which she chooses to cure her brother of his allergies. Click here to view. I found it very heartwarming. Jennifer’s interpretation of her daughter’s story definitely brought a smile to my face!
4. Lindsey @ Frugal Food Allergies has a daughter with Eosinophilic Esophagitus. Click here for a description from The Allergy Asthma Information Association (AAIA). It has been quite the journey for her daughter. It brought tears to my eyes to read Lindsey’s account of her daughter’s recent food trial and 34 skin tests! Click here to view. Lindsey’s excitement for her daughter’s growing food repertoire is contagious and brings a smile to my face!
5. Nutrimom has a son with food allergies. I first discovered Nutrimom as a guest blogger at It’s An Itchy Little World. Click here for her guest post. Nutrimom describes herself as a mother who “cooks A LOT” …definition, “to a very great degree or extent”. She takes this definition one step further to add, “When you are the mother of a food allergic child, it’s not a trend, not a passing fad or new diet – it’s an entirely new lifestyle.” If this brought a huge smile to your face like it did to mine…then check out all these fabulous women.
All five of these Food Allergy Bloggers work hard in their kitchens, changing lifestyles, creating allergy friendly recipes and bringing ‘sunshine and smiles’ to all those lucky enough to be touched by their presence and/or stories.
We all need a little sunshine to brighten our days…have a great weekend!